Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 1

I have struggled with my weight for the majority of my adult life.  I have tried lots of different diets and I have seen results from most.  I feel like I am playing in a game I can't win.  So I an changing the rules.  For me.  Exercise .  Eating better.  Smaller portions.  Easy to say.

But I am obsessed with food.  Not in a binge-on-everything-in-site way.  More in a culinary way.  Food is what I love.  I work in food.  Almost every job I have ever had is somehow related to the food industry.  It is my passion, my hobby, my favorite past time.  I love to cook.   I like to read about food.  I have more recipe books than I can ever possibly use.  The Food Network is my ESPN.  I enjoy almost everything about food.  Eating it is just a small part of what I enjoy.

About a month ago I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance.  Basically Pre-Diabetes.  If I don't change the habits I have, I will be diabetic very soon.  I am attending classes.  I am now on medicine to help the insulin work the way it should so I don't lose that function completely.    I am supposed to eat no more than 30 carbs per meal.  I am a work in progress. 

I have a cousin who has agreed to help me on my journey.  She is super supportive and very motivating.  My challenge is to create a journal to record my progress.  I have thought about doing this anyway, so here it is.  My goal is to be fit by 40.  I will turn 37 in 3 months.  I think I am to the point where I just want to get off the roller coaster and actually do something permanent. 

I spent some time with a good friend last week who has lost 110 lbs. in the past 9 months.  He looks amazing.  Like a different person.  It motivated me to keep working hard!  In fact, someone approached him and asked him if he was related to Adam.  "I am Adam" was his reply.  It was that big of a difference.  I want to be mistaken for one of my thinner sisters.  That would be awesome. 

Exercise today:  Zumba 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment