Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A New Year, New Challenges

I recently found a good friend to watch C during the day so I could open up my availability at work and be able to be home at night more often.  I don't work lots during the day and not even every week, but I have noticed it cutting into my work out time.  Normally I go to the gym after the kids go to school (and when the day care is open at the gym).  If I don't go in the morning, I rarely go once the kids get home from school.   I never can go on Monday morning because I work for the free membership from 8-12:30 that day.  I am NOT a morning person.  Getting up at 7 is hard for me, and that is necessary to get the kids to school on time.  In my perfect world I would be at the gym at 6 and home by 7, but that is so unrealistic I can't even begin to fathom it. 

Sunday I told Ryan I wanted to go to PowerCut at 5:30 the next day.  He all but laughed in my face.  Of course I was at work all day and by the time I got home I was exhausted and very much not wanting to leave the house.  Around 7 or 7:30 I made a comment about how I had missed PowerCut and Ry again laughed at me.  After we talked for a bit I found out that he thought I meant 5:30 am.   Not 5:30 pm.  Which is the actual time of the class.  Now the laughter made sense. 

So here is my predicament.  I need to work out more often, but I have these time issues that make it hard.  I don't want to call myself lazy because I can't wake up.  Maybe I am, but I work until late at night all weekend long and 2 week nights.  Sleep is hard to come by.  So I am hoping for some advice on how I can work more exercise into this schedule.  I am open to options at this point.  Honestly, the gym has been the best for me especially when I go to classes.  They are a lot more motivating and help my endurance increase which is my hardest thing right now.  I did 2 classes in a row last week, which I had never done and I thought I wuld die, but I made it.  But 2 hours one day an hour the next then 5 days off is not a great schedule.  Consistency is what  I am looking for here.  Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisha. When my life is like yours I break out the videos or the free weights. I know it's less motivating, but it might be possible to find a DVD that excites you. Sometimes it's the type of workout that will do it for you, or even if it's done by someone you like with really great music. They put out some really great ones these days. Get on Amazon and browse. Books are the same way. I have one that LL Cool J wrote with workouts in it that uses free weights. Don't laugh - it works to find one you like, justsayin. One great thing about the books is that you learn how to do it on your own, so when you only have 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there, you can work in quite a bit of resistance training throughout the day. Not cardio, I know but still really beneficial. It takes a different kind of discipline. I used to be able to run in the early morning but can't get myself to do that anymore either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lish,
    I feel your pain of waking up early. I am not a morning person either. At all.
    However, I have learned that if i don't go work out in the mornings, I don't work out. Summer is a little different because my kids are home and can help with the kids for an hour while I go run. I have just had to make it a priority and DO IT! I go 3 days a week at 6 am. That means alarm goes off at 5:20....which yes is super early and super sucky. BUT, when I am home, I feel so much better knowing I did something good for myself to start the day off right!!
    Hang in there and keep pushing!! I am on a similar journey....pushing and working hard pays off!! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete